Tuesday

California Select

The corner of Sunset and Alvarado.

No. I'm not quoting Eels' lyrics. I’m talking about the location of American Apparel's Echo Park vintage store, California Select. I became fascinated with AA ever since I really enjoyed playing the game of "Spot the Nipple" in its recent spring catalogue to keep my mind alert. Additionally, AA's CEO, Dov Charney, is the only exception to my rule: never sleep with a 37-year-old... again.

Despite it's size, you still need to browse with as much effort as any vintage store. (In fact, I found myself saying that many of its dresses were "very Hester Prynne" or "way too Anne Frank.") However, you will walk out of the store with at least three items, even if it does include some of the reading material it provides for the literate hipster. After all, the store does sell vintage Playboy issues so you can see how the centerfolds of yesteryear resemble articles about Activia found in today's Women's Home Journal.


No comments: