Thursday

Blogger Bias?

Today's New York Times contained an article called "Beauty Bloggers Come of Age: Swag, Please!" which has caused a minor uproar with pr folks and bloggers alike.
Just wanted to add a little comment from my perspective, as this blog from time to time contains reviews of products:
Yes! I totally get free samples from companies. It's fun to get to try things without commitment and figure out what rocks and sucks without opening my wallet, and in turn help you spend your money wisely.
I tend to post on the extremes-- the products I adore, and in the odd case, one that is completely heinous. Mediocre reviews only get posted when the product is so hyped I feel the need to weigh in. But in most cases, the merely "okay" items go unmentioned, tossed in the trash or given away after I test them. And to be honest, more go in that direction than not. My time is valuable, so why waste it (and my readers') featuring something not worth hearing about?
Companies take a risk when they send me something, because I can say whatever I want, or nothing at all. They know that, and it's their choice.
I started doing my own reviews because of the obvious bias of ad-reliant magazines - I wanted people to have a source they could actually trust. At the time, I felt I didn't have one despite my stack of subscriptions.
Because my site doesn't benefit or bomb from how pleased a company is, but from how useful or useless I am to you readers, I have the freedom to tell you the unedited, insensitive truth. I plan to keep it that way.

No comments: