Thursday

Con Me

At first read, I thought this was drag-related.

Converse All Stars turn 100 this year, and the latest ads (which are actually for the John Varvatos-designed clothing line) are rocking a FCUK-esque tag line that some people are dissing, but I kind of dig: "Get Chucked." [Note: The campaign first launched in 2006 but hasn't been very visible lately up until now.]
I got Chucked for the first time in 6th grade-- a pair of basic blue low-tops have called my closet home ever since.
Flat, unfussy and endearingly youthful, there's really no question why they've endured.
(I hope we won't be able to say the same someday for the Vans "prison issue" sneaker.)
Chucks also have a surprisingly long life for a pair of simple canvas kicks. Last year I threw out a daily-worn pair my mom got me 7 years ago on a trip home from college. And those were purchased at a shoe shop near the bus station because she noticed I was still wearing the ones I'd had since 8th grade.
Here's to another century of hot indie kids and quirky old people waving their understated, rubber-soled freak flags.

No comments: