Monday

Get Beach Hair (Even When You're Landlocked)

Since it was discontinued several years ago, the faux-beachifier known as John Frieda Beach Blonde Ocean Waves has left scores of rabid fans high and dry without a replacement. The product has such a cult following that old bottles are selling on eBay at a premium. Don't believe me? Here's an OMG for you: check out the price of ONE bottle on Amazon!

I personally had never found a replacement, but didn't love it enough to pay a 2600% markup. Last month I hit the web to see what former Frieda freaks were using for a beach spray these days. These were the top contenders:

1.) Sedu Beach Beauty Sea Salt Spray ($8.95) was highly regarded by reviewers on several beauty sites as an Ocean Waves alternative, so I ordered a bottle. The coconut scent is vaguely similar, but the product left my hair feeling a tad TOO oily.

2.)
DIY Beach Spray:
- sea salt -water -dash of coconut or olive oil
- shake well and spray
I could barely tell anything was in my hair. Giving that a "Meh."

3.)
Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray ($22) basically took the cake and then baked another one. Not only is it non-drying, great smelling (although not coconutty) and contained in a portable size bottle, but it serves as a root-lifter, volumizer and texturizer all in one. One spritz and you'll be praying to the hair gods that they never discontinue this one. I love it more than I ever loved Ocean Waves. I'm actually beginning to wonder if the peeps at Bumble and Bumble are the hair gods?

No comments: