Monday

Product Review: Model Co Tan Airbrush in a Can


I'm very fair-skinned, and I don't want to look like a leather purse when I grow up, so it's fair to say I've tried a LOT of self-tanning products. My most recent purchase was the $42 Tan Airbrush in a Can by an Australian company called Model Co. I got it on sale, but it was still pricy, and I have been beyond horrified with the result.

First of all - like most airbrush tanners - the bottle claims you don't have to rub it in. Yes, you always do, unless you want to look blotchy. (Note: If you self-tan, invest in a box of disposable thin plastic or rubber gloves, like the ones that come in home haircolor kits, to prevent orange palms.) This product comes out the color of Hershey's sundae syrup, so if you don't rub it in you'll end up looking like a chocolate zebra.

After one time directly spritzing it on my skin and trying to rub it in I discovered how difficult the product is to spread and blend. I got out the plastic gloves and began spritzing it into my palm and rubbing it in from there, making it slightly more possible to blend in the color.

The product contains an instant bronzer, and the tan is supposed to develop over several hours beneath that. I found that after 24 hours or so, there was no hint of a tan and all that was left were two strange bronze amoeba shapes on the front of both of my shins (and yes, I exfoliated pre-tan), which basically made me look like I suffered from whatever skin disease Michael Jackson is claiming to have. A friend likened them to birthmarks. And guess what? After over a week, they still are visible. I've exfoliated twice a day and just now resorted to trying a Magic Eraser sponge. (That has worked the best so far, but now my shins are red and sore.)

Verdict: Total ripoff, awful product.
Instead, try: Neutrogena MicroMist Tanning Sunless Spray. It's about $10 and is the best airbrush tanning product I have tried so far. The CVS brand knockoff works well too, but you'll only save about $1, so go with the name brand. Whichever you choose - rub it in!

1 comment:

Liz said...

i just rock the pale skin unless i really feel the need to look like a normal human...then i just go with the spray tan.