Tuesday

Review: Two From Dermalogica's Age Smart Line

One of my favorite beauty boutique chains - Planet Beauty (their stores are all California-based but they have a cute, easily navigable website) - recently sent along a little package of spring essentials, and I've been loving two of the skincare items I had the opportunity to test-run. Both are from skincare brand Dermalogica, a prestige company that prides itself on products free of skin irritants and breakout-causing ingredients.

Dermalogica Age Smart Multivitamin Thermafoliant
For a product like this, $48 is reasonable. Why? Because you do get pro-facial level results. Like with a regular facial, your skin immediately after the treatment can be a little blotchy or reddened, but later you just see an awesome "glow." Any dead skin on your face just got it's ass kicked by a self-heating grainy micro scrub.
What sucks: I have to admit I'd never tried a thermal treatment before, so the heating first registered as burning, but the results make the slight discomfort of the process totally worth it. Verdict: I'd drop the cash to pick up more of this one in the future. It's harsher than my old fave, Origins Modern Friction, but every once in a while you need a stronger exfoliant - Origins' is more of a "several times a week" thing. This is more once a month (at least for me.)

Age Smart Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 30 is great. I decided recently that SPF 15 in my moisturizer was not cutting it, and I wanted something more moisture-rich but not loaded with mineral oil. This product wears well under makeup and doesn't leave a greasy/shiny residue or a trail of acne devastation in its wake. Plus there are no artificial colors or fragrances - great for sensitive types.
What sucks: It's pricey at $60. Dermalogica does offer SPF face lotions for about half that price as well, so if you dig the brand but cant swing the cost, you don't have to miss out.
Verdict: It's not one I'd personally splurge for on a regular basis, but I am really enjoying it while it lasts.
FYI: All women should be wearing sunscreen at the very least on their face and neck if they don't want their youth rapidly obliterated by the environment. If you don't wear one, get one.

No comments: