Thursday

McQueen's Runway Terrors


[Photos by Giovanni Giannoni via WWD.com]

If you haven't already seen highlights from his show posted on the rest of the internet, take a moment to check out his Dave McKean drawing meets Amanda Lepore meets Pierrot clown meets Edward Scissorhands meets the bird exhibit at the zoo Fall 2009 collection from this past Tuesday at Paris Fashion Week.

McQueen, as you may have noticed, is always my most anticipated part of every fashion week. If he and John Galliano (my other hero) ever teamed up for a show I think my face might fall off. I. Love. Drama. And no one does it better.

While everything was truly conceptual and barely wearable outside a costume ball or a Broadway stafe, I do hope that mass-market textile designers take note of the incredible print featured on several of the dresses in which houndstooth deteriorates into a vicious swarm of birds. Also fantastic is his use of volume in the shorter jackets' sleeves and their huge scuptural lapels. But my favorite is a classic example of the "nightmare/fairytale" aesthetic he is so known for - a super goth harness bodiced dress with a leathery mass of skirt attached. Oh, to be Victoria Beckham.

No comments: