Wednesday

Sun Saviors for a Burnt Babe

The Boston area got its first serious beach day this week, so I took advantage and drove up the coast to Maine for a little outlet shopping and sunbathing. When I arrived home, I was totally sunburnt and my hair looked like dried seaweed. Enter the great new summer products I just received for testing!

Clinique just put out a great new batch of sun care products, including After Sun Rescue Balm ($20 for a big tube), which is saving my back quite literally at the moment. The balm is rich and soothing and so far has kept me from peeling. It also absorbs easily and doesn't leave a weird feeling residue like plain old aloe gel. I'm also digging the super-rich, unscented SPF 30 Face Cream ($17.50)for it's non-greasy moisturizing power. At that price, I'm ditching my Neutrogena SPF 20 Anti-Wrinkle moisturizer, which actually costs more.

I washed the sea salt and sand out with Redken's new Color Extend After-Sun Shampoo ($13)and After-Sun Mask ($15). Together they restored my hair to it's silky self after just one shower, and left it with some UV protection to boot. All the products in this line contain mango oil and have a very flowery scent. (If you're scent-sensitive they may not be for you.)

If your hair is medium to thick, the Sparkling Shield ($16) spray on color protector adds intense shine (it's full of miniscule gold glitter particles). Fine hair should be tied back first if you plan to use this product, as it can make it look thinner and oilier.

Clinique also just released a new line of sunless tanning and bronzing products - I haven't tried the airbrush spray or tinted lotions yet, but the dual-colored Almost Bronzer SPF 15 ($28.50) has prompted me to toss all my cheapo Maybelline (too dull) and Bonne Bell (too sparkly) powder bronzers. This one is PERFECT and worth the markup! It goes on very sheer and has just a tiny hint of shimmer in it. This coming from a fair skinned girl who has never found a shade that looked human before.

No comments: