Thursday

Review: Redken Color Extend Haircare

Redken's new, reformulated Color Extend product line was released this month, and I've been exclusively using the entire line since I had my color and highlights done on Monday. So far, so good!

First Impression: Every product in the line carries a common, very understated scent that is definitely unisex - nothing fruity or flowery about it, but no stinging chemical scent either. I had to really concentrate to notice it. It's a "warm" fragrance.

Cleanse and Condition
Color Extend Shampoo ($13) and Conditoner ($14):
The shampoo is gentle, and the conditioner is rich, but not heavy. Both are perfect for regular daily use -though I wish the conditioner did more in the way of detangling. Like most of the products in this line, they contain cranberry oil for shine and vibrancy, UV filters to protect color against fading, and a ceramide complex to strengthen hair that has been weakened by chemicals in the coloring process. I noticed a reduction in breakage over several days, which is cool.

Treat
Total Recharge
($16) is the spray on strengthening treatment made for use after shampooing, soon after a salon color is applied to help lock it in. It was a pain in the ass trying to cover my long hair with spritzes in the shower, but it at least detangled my hair a bit. This product can also be used as a leave-in conditioner, and I suspect it would be more easily used as such.

Rich Recovery ($15) is a weekly deep conditioning treatment for color treated hair, and really does the job as far as damage control. Most colored hair has survived some degree of damage and needs to be treated at least once a week to restore moisture and shine lost through heat styling and general wear and tear. It serves as a replacement for a retired Redken product called Highlight Fuel - so if you were a fan of that, give this one a go.

Finish
As I said, the conditioner does not help a great deal with detangling - but a dollop of the Shine Enrich ($16) serum did the job while adding a glassy shine to my hair. It is lightweight enough to use on my baby-fine hair without pulling it down.

NOTE: Redken also has a line called Color Extend Sun, with a shampoo and a mask for post-sun exposure (I'm hoping to try these on my beach vacation this summer!) and a water-resistant sheilding serum meant to protect hair from chlorine and sun-damage.

No comments: