Tuesday

Ghetto Fix: Make Your Own Dry Shampoo

In an effort to make my color last longer, I've been trying to shampoo my hair less frequently. Unfortunately, with baby-fine hair, dirtiness = stringiness. Unacceptable. Time to try a dry shampoo.

The cheapest one I found was at Sally Beauty for $7.49 called Batiste - I spritzed a little and it smelled like a toilet cleaner (not to mention the bottle looks like it's a scented vagina spray from the 1940s.) I checked Sephora next and everything was about $15-$40 for either a tiny spray can or a bottle that looked 15% full of baby powder. I looked at the ingredients on all of them - cornstarch was the key. I decided to make my own and total shocker - it worked.

What you need:
- A hair color applicator bottle with a narrow tip ($1.79 at Sally Beauty or any beauty supply store)
- Baby powder ($6ish at any drugstore. I HATE the smell of baby ass so I got the cucumber melon kind - very light and fresh)
- A funnel or a plastic bag

To use: Open the top of the applicator bottle and pour in the baby powder using either a funnel or a plastic bag with the corner cut off. Put the lid back on and apply the powder by gently squeezing the bottle and running the point of the applicator bottle along the hairline and part. It will require a little bit of rubbing in - but so do the pricy brands.

Bonus effect:
If you're a bottle blonde it can help mask the appearance of dark roots.

No comments: